Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fresh Quilting


Fresh Quilting by Malka Dubrawsky (blog: stitchindye.blogspot.com)was on my "must have" books for 2010. It arrived right before Xmas and I couldn't wait to dive into it. Let me say, it did not disappoint! I love Malka's use of colour - I guess that's why she calls it "Fearless Colour, Design and Inspiration." It really has inspired me to use more vibrant colours in the future!
I'm intrigued by Malka's twinkle (aka circle) quilts and pillows. I know nothing about fabric dyeing but have begun to read up about it. I broke out Malka's other book "Color Your Cloth: A Quilter's Guide to Dyeing and Patterning Fabric" and started looking online at different blogs. I highly recommend r0ssie.blogspot.com as well.
In looking more closely at Malka's twinkle quilts/pillows, I realized that they are really an optical illusion. What looks like circles that are appliqued on the fabric are actually circles dyed onto the fabric squares. It's called itajime shibori which is a Japanese method of dyeing fabric. You can read more about this method on r0ssie.blogspot.com . She also sells the itajime products in her etsy shop.
Malka wrote an article about this method for Quilting Arts magazine in January 2009 which I have since ordered last night! I can't wait to find out more about it as I love all things circular when it comes to quilting.
Have any of you tried this method of fabric dyeing? I'd love to hear about it. What's inspiring you lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment