Sunday, January 16, 2011

Petal Pillow




I've been wanting a quick and easy project to spruce up my home. I've admired Allison's Petal Pillow (tutorial here)for some time so yesterday I thought I would give it a go. I loaded up one of my daughters in the car (of course it was a blustery snowy day) and off to the fabric store we went. I bought half a yard of cream felt and some thread.

While the girls had a nap (same time? Wow - never happens:), I pulled out my accuquilt and used my circle die. I'm really glad I did buy that particular die as I love all things circular when it comes to quilting and fabric! The accuquilt worked great on the felt. I was able to get in three pieces at a time with perfect results - not a lot of waste too. Allison's tutorial called for 3 1/2 inch and 2 1/2 inch circles but I just used 3 and 2 respectively. I definitely ended up using more circles than expected but in the end I think it looks pretty good.

I couldn't resist taking some pictures of the pillow this morning even though I still have to add one little piece of felt in the middle to finish the flower.

The finished dimension of the pillow is 17 inches with an envelope style back. It's great because I was able to recycle it as it was not being used and had some ugly fabric on it (what was I thinking:) Presto, new and improved and adds a touch of femininity to our living room. My little girl loves it and now wants a purple one for her room - go figure! I was thinking I would recycle another rectangle pillow in the house and make three little flowers side by side for her.

I was out shopping the other day and these kinds of pillows are everywhere - felted in different shapes and patterns. I kept picking all of them up and saying - wow, I could make that!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! Way to recycle :) and I love your idea of doing three flowers side-by-side for your daughter's version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SUPER pretty! Thanks for linking up to Quiltstory!

    ReplyDelete