Sunday, February 6, 2011

Quilt Story Block Party

I'm so excited to submit my quilt block to Quilt Story's Block Party! I've never entered any type of contest for my quilting/sewing before!

I have had a fascination and love for all things circular when it comes to quilts. I'm also a huge fan of Denyse Schmidt so when I came across her "What a Dish" baby quilt a few years ago, I fell in love! I loved the palette and best of all the design! I was lucky enough to have met her and Heather Ross in August 2009 when I attended the Weekend Sewing Workshop in Vermont. Of course I had to ask her, how did she make the What a Dish quilt. She said that it was bias strips that were appliqued on to the quilt blocks. In my mind, I kept thinking....wow that is a lot of work....just look at how many concentric circles there are in that quilt! Beautiful, but a lot of work!!

I know a lot of people make their circles a la Dale Fleming (six minute circle technique) and I loved Dioramarama's Tutorial that I came across a few years ago. Personally, I love the finished look of a pieced circle. I looked around the internet and through Flickr but I never came across a pieced circle that had more than two rings in it. This is when I happened to see Quilt Story's posting about their Block Party - I knew this was the inspiration I needed to make a block with concentric circles - something I've never done before!!



Here is my submission...what do you think? I'm thinking this should be made into my first tutorial. As for this block, I think I'm going to turn it into a pillow for my daughter to go along with this quilt.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, is that pieced fabric? It looks like it was painted! I'd love to see a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd Love to know how you did the circles! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I kind of think you could throw in one circle block into the mix of the squares - it would be such a surprise to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful! You'll have to do a tutorial, because we all want to do one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so great!! AMAZING!! Thanks so much for submitting for the block party, we really had so much fun so THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete